Friday, February 27, 2009

Kaena Makananani!

To those of you who have already heard this story, I'm sorry. Well, not really, because it's a good story, and I am a great teller. Ok, here we go!
I was having a normal Wednesday. I was folding baby clothes and emailing my luscious friend Krista, when I heard the dogs bark, so I figured someone was here, and it was our neighbor, Carol. I saw my sister in law going to answer the door and I could tell that she was in pain, so I asked what was going on, and she told me that she'd been having a few contractions and she had some bloody discharge and that Carol was driving her to the doctors to get checked. She didn't know if it was a big deal since her contractions were so irregular. I felt bad for not checking on her all day, it was about 3:00. So we went to the doctor, and Aloha, my mother in law met us there and they took Lei back to moniter her contractions and such. a few minutes later, they called Aloha back (P.S. Lei's husband John was in Lake Havasue, Arizona picking up his parents, that's why he's not in this story) what seemed like seconds later, Aloha called me on my cell phone to tell me Lei was dilated to an 8 and we needed to get to the hospital next door. So we went, and by this time Lei was contracting heavily and in a lot of pain, she was just crying and sweating and all of that. So we went to the hospital, and I got the wheelchair, and I saw my old room mate, Katelyn. She was in the waiting room, she is pregnant too(well maybe not anymore) and she tells me she's 2 weeks overdue, and asks my due date etc... I had to wheel Lei in or I would have talked to her more, I really wanted to too, but I had to get Lei in there. If anyone knows any info on her let me know! I never found out what happened with her.
So we get into the room, and Lei is progressing WAY fast! And between contractions they are having her sign the forms and hooking up her IV, she wanted an epidural, but there was no time! Also, at the same time down the hall two other women were having babies right then. So nurses and cna's were running out of the room, they are having me hold Lei's knees. I held them til I thought my arms would fall off and I would surely die. In the nick of time Lei got a priesthood blessing from some guys in our ward, It was really a miracle that they made it because right after they left, me and a nurse held onto legs and she pushed twice, and there was a baby! It was so crazy, the doctor didn't have much time, but he was able to change and everything worked out.
She was born at 16:16 (4:16) in the afternoon. She weighs 7 lbs 1oz and is 19 inches long. Her name is Kaena Makananani (Kah-enna Muh-kaw-nuh-naw-nee) Kaena was Aloha's grandma's first name and Makananani is Grandma Min's middle name. I'm not sure what they mean yet.
So I got some hands on training in child birth, was horrified, then enlightened. I can't wait for my little K.J. comes! I love to hold Kaena, and am ready to meet my own! I would also like to add that carol was awesome, she was there for us the whole time, she's such a good neighbor! Ok, that's all I've got. I will put pictures up as soon as I can!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow! What an experience! And how funny that you ran into Katelyn through all of that craziness!

Krista Eger said...

Ok there is something that irritates me SO much about the hospital and just one more reason why home births aren't bad to me. Did she really need that freaking IV????? NO! They just put it in so they can put electrolytes and other stuff in her system that doesn't REALLY need to be there. And they use it for pitocin which she OBVIOUSLY didn't need! It just is so stupid that they would scramble to get that in when the baby was almost freaking out. Its the hospital's policy so I don't blame the nurses. But they take it out after the baby is out. So it seems useless. My hospital keeps them in until they get up for the bathroom which is really stupid because I've only seen one time when they actually needed it and it was right after the nurse took it out (its so they can put meds in if they hemorrhage). Its just stupid things like that that the hospital thinks is the absolute only way they are supposed to do it when its so obviously unnecessary! I read in my pregnancy books that you can request for it to not be there. Whatever they're lame! :D I still love that hospital though!

Thomas Family said...

that is so crazy! my sister in law had her baby too, and it has made me sooo impatient to have my baby its crazy! but Im sure you were a great coach and knee holder! oh and if you want I have what I think is katelyn's right phone number