Friday, June 10, 2011

Made a cake

I have been experimenting with cake decorating. I was asked to do a quincinera cake, which is a very big deal, and since it is in January, I agreed. I was so intimidated I wanted some practice, so I made a cake for my sister in law's lakers themed baby shower. (who plans a lakers baby shower... yup only my in laws...) and I was really encouraged by it. The fondant was so fun! My mother in law bought it, but I want to experiment making my own soon. So here's the pic, the only one I have is one my sister in law took with her phone, the picture is crooked, but I assure you the cake was not :)

On a negative note: the cake sucked. It was super dry and gross. Stupid Betty Crocker! I didn't really care, I just wanted it to look good, but if anyone has a good, dense but not dry chocolate (or any other flavors, really) cake recipe, feel free to share:) Let me know what you think. Ps if one of the basketballs has a fingerprint in it it's because my niece decided to try and snatch it. grr....

3 comments:

Krista Eger said...

I love it! I've always wanted to do a cake with fondant. Maybe I'll do Audrey's birthday cake with it. But I will definitely have to make the cake the day before. I made cupcakes for Nate's birthday party and it took me so long to make the actual cake that by the time I got to frosting it I was so sick of doing it that I didn't do anything fancy. I just absolutely cannot stand the store bought cakes. I seriously hate the taste. Not only do they taste bad, but they're so fluffy and undecoratable (a new word I made up). So for my sister's 30th birthday a couple years ago I tried making my own and it was pretty good, but tasted a little too floury (which is normal for a home made cake). So for Nate's birthday I decided that this time I was going to the food professionals so I went onto foodnetwork.com and looked for a cake recipe with 5 stars. I wanted red velvet so I did the "red velvet brains cupcakes" I guess it was a halloween recipe I don't know. But it worked and it tasted WAAAAAY better than Betty Crocker (More like Betty Hooker!). But I didn't put food coloring in it because I thought that it was pointless...and well, it looked like a bran muffin so...just always follow instructions even if they don't make sense. Because even though the taste would have been the same, I bet it would have tasted even better if it was red. Weird how the brain works huh! The great thing about this recipe is that it was SUPER moist AND it was nice and dense. I left the cupcakes out and the next day they were still moist and I didn't even cover them. It was pretty awesome! If I find a good chocolate one I'll send it your way.

Cynda Min said...

Thanks! Do you hate the store bought cakes or cake mixes? I have had red velvet cake, and the only thing I don't like about it is that sometimes it tastes like foodcoloring and leaves your tongue red, so maybe you made the right move :) I bet you would do awesome with fondant!

Jamie said...

Awesome cake!